This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Orphaned strings

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I have succesfully installed ResX Resource Manager, and like what I see in VS2010.

I have the following question:

How do I find orphaned string ?

I have noticed the following:

When displaying the main resource for a project in the solution (Resources) then the last entry in the list of strings, in the "Neutral" language, always show up in red and no text is in the cell. If I inspect the Resoources.resx file 'manually', this has a valid definition of the entry. Sometimes its nore than one entry in the end of the gris showing up in red

Best Regards,

Jan Jochimsen / Schneider Electric

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Jan,

"red" means this cell has no content - i.e. the resource is defined in any other .resx file, but is missing or has an empty value in this language.

If you see red entries in the "Neutral" column, that could mean either that the content for the neutral language is missing - that would be a bug - or that the string is no longer defined in the neutral language, but still exists in another language - then it's an orphan entry and you can delete it.

BR,

Tom

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Hi Tom,

I think it is a bug then – you can check the pasted window below:

BR

Jan Jochimsen

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Jan Jochimsen
| Schneider Electric | Hydraulic Simulation and Optimization | Sr. Software Development Engineer
Phone:
+45 45 900 700 | Direct Phone: +45 45 900 730 |
Email:
Jan.Jochimsen@schneider-electric.com | Site:
www.schneider-electric.com | Address: Bistruphave 3, DK-3460 Birkerød, Denmark
*** Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail l

Sent: 27. oktober 2012 16:51
To: Jan Jochimsen
Subject: Re: Orphaned strings [ResXResourceManager:400886]

Jan,

"red" means this cell has no content - i.e. the resource is defined in any other .resx file, but is missing or has an empty value in this language.

If you see red entries in the "Neutral" column, that could mean either that the content for the neutral language is missing - that would be a bug - or that the string is no longer defined in the neutral language, but still exists in another language - then it's an orphan entry and you can delete it.

BR,

Tom

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Hi Jan,

the neutral resource always should have values for every resource entry. If you have strings without a neutral value and you have verified that these strings are not orphans but are definitely in use by your application, then it is a bug in your application - not in the resource manager.